[Dixielandjazz] Was there a New Orleans Jazz Festival before NOJ&H Fest?

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Feb 3 12:14:06 PST 2009

To:  Musicians and serious Jazzfans list & DJML

From: Norman Vickers

Marek Boym asked on DJML why his Turk Murphy liner notes said his group
played New Orleans Jazz Festival when New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival
hadn't started then.

Thanks to Charlie Suhor, author of Jazz in New Orleans: the Postwar Years
through 1970  for clarifying the issue

Marek Boym's query:
First New Orleans Jazz Festival in 1968? I have a Turk Murphy LP
which purports to have been recorded at the New Orleans Jazz Festival
in November 1955!