[Dixielandjazz] http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=31721 Great Day in Harlem

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Feb 3 07:19:15 PST 2009

To:  Musicians and jazzfans & DJML

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

I don't do this to you often.  I hate it when someone sends me a link
without explanation.

So:  here's the explanation.  Long article about the making of the photo   "
Great Day In Harlem."  Also follow up about the later photo of the
survivors.  Photo was redone several decades later with living ones, who
showed up, in same position as they were in the original photo.  Click on
the link to get the article with some  current comments from the few
survivors including pianist Marion McPartland and drummer Eddie Locke.
There are great photos and even a video.  Tribute is given to Jean Bach who
took on the project of interviewing the survivors.  It was mentioned that
this movie, Great Day In Harlem, was nominated for an Academy Award in the
category of short movie. ( It didn't win the award.)  Jean told me that she
knew it wouldn't win, but went to the ceremony thinking that it would be the
only time she'd have opportunity to attend.
Besides, it was a great honor just to be nominated. ( I had met Jean Bach at
some of the Gibson Colorado Jazz Parties and she was helpful in securing
for the Jazz Society of Pensacola the out of print book about Johnny Mercer
which her late husband Bob and Mrs. Mercer had written some time after
Mercer's death.)

Eddie Locke was a featured drummer, along with Eddie Metz, Jr. at the recent
Arbors International Piano Jazz party in Clearwater Beach, FL  He looked and
played well!

So with that prelude,  here's the link.  How does the admonition go?  Read,
learn and inwardly digest!

Why didn't I just copy the article and send it?  Because likely the photos
wouldn't transmit ( especially to DJML)

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=31721

Norman