[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Willis Conover and Jazzfest-Charlie Suhor writes

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Feb 2 18:10:22 PST 2009

I have the same album, and I asked the same question one year while
talking to several Jazzfest officials. They said that was a totally
different thing - no connection between the 1955 festival and the
later Jazz fests. They seemed to indicate that the early ones were a
much more "commercial arrangement with some French Quarter nightclubs"
but I didn't get any further details from them.

http://tinyurl.com/av2map  leads to a Googlebook with several
paragraphs about Turk's performances in New Orleans for that 1955
festival.

I did not know about those early years of the "Jazz and Heritage
Festival" - it would be interesting to read those DownBeat articles.

Dave RIchoux