[Dixielandjazz] Why didgeridoo it?

David Gannett evidence at otelco.net
Sun Feb 1 08:34:40 PST 2009

To my friends on the DJML list:

While information about creating your own didgeridoo is perhaps not entirely
germaine to our discussion, I thought I might share some information that
has been helpful to me.

As many of you know, I was in an accident that claimed a total of 10 teeth
and completely reshaped my upper palate.  It has been difficult and
frustrating trying to get my tuba chops back to a functional state over the
last couple of years - it is an ongoing work.

Recently however, my colleague John Elliott, a much sought-after studio
tubist in London, sent me some didge tracks he'd done with different
artists.  I was amazed at his facility on the instrument and even more
amazed to learn he had made his own didgeridoo.  We have created a book
(actually two books) on building, painting and playing your own
studio-quality didgeridoo complete with 21 practice MP3 files.  Included
also is my book "Circular Breathing Secrets", as circular breathing is part
and parcel of playing the didj.

Here's the point:  As I spend most of my time out on the road, I am able to
take my didge along and practice it in spare moments, restoring my chops and
fine-tuning my circular breathing.  It is a wonderful way to get a good
"buzz" going for your embrouchure, rebuilding or maintaining musculature and
blood flow, while exercising your lungs and coordination of breathing.  I'm
beginning to entertain some hope with the progress I'm making as a result of
the didgeridoo, besides which it's just plain fun to play!

If you're interested in learning more, you can check it out at:
http://www.tubagear.com/didjinfo.html and also download a free mp3 track of
John Elliott's great playing.

Thanks!

Dave Gannett