[Dixielandjazz] Another "Pops" Review

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 29 15:24:38 PST 2009

Biography looks at Louis Armstrong through his art

Below is a review from the Philadelphia Paper about Teachout's book. I
post it because it is a bit different from some of the others we've
seen.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
http://www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Pops  A Life of Louis Armstrong
By Terry Teachout

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.  475 pp. $30

Reviewed by Frank Wilson

There probably is no such thing as a definitive biography of anyone,
but Terry Teachout's Pops is likely to remain indispensable to any and
all seeking to understand trumpeter extraordinaire Louis Armstrong.
Teachout looks at the jazzman through the lens of his art, which
provides the clearest view of the man, for if anyone ever lived by his
art it was Armstrong. He may have been "deserted by his father when he
was born, raised by a part-time prostitute, and sentenced at the age
of eleven to the Colored Waif's Home, an orphanage-like reform school"
in New Orleans, but he ended up lying in state at the Seventh Avenue
Armory on New York's Park Avenue, where 25,000 people filed past his
coffin.

The thread running through this "epic journey from squalor to
immortality" is the music - and the marvel of Teachout's book is the
way in which his descriptions of that music illuminate the life.
Here's what he has to say about Armstrong's 1933 recording of Harold
Arlen's "I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues":

Armstrong, in a departure from his customary practice on ballads,
dispenses almost entirely with Arlen's melody, substituting instead a
series of rhythmically free phrases that lead upward to a high B-flat.
Four times he falls off from that shining note - and then comes the
fifth fall, at the bottom of which he changes course and swoops
gracefully upward to a full-throated D . . . Armstrong seems to have
broken through to a realm of abstract lyricism that transcends
ordinary human emotion. Only then does he condescend to ease back into
the vicinity of the tune, returning the bedazzled listener to the
everyday world.

Taken together, those free phrases, graceful swoops, and easeful
return to the everyday world encapsulate both performance and
performer. As Teachout, the drama critic for the Wall Street Journal,
amply demonstrates, Louis Armstrong was a good deal more
sophisticated, both musically and otherwise, than he was wont to let
on. He learned to read music in the Colored Waif's Home, where he
played cornet in the band (he started out as a cornetist). As he later
said: "I played all classical music when I was in the orphanage. . . .
That instills the soul in you. You know? Liszt, Bach, Rachmaninoff,
Gustav Mahler, and Haydn."

Armstrong was also - from his earliest years, apparently - both a fan
of and influenced by opera. He bought his first record player when he
was in his teens and said later that "most of my records were the
Original Dixieland Jazz Band . . . I had Caruso, too, and Henry Burr,
Galli-Curci, Tettrazzini - they were all my favorites. Then there was
the Irish tenor, McCormack - beautiful phrasing."

As Teachout notes, it is no accident that the trumpet solo concluding
that '33 recording of "I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues" sounds "for
all the world like a lordly turn-of-the-century tenor."

Armstrong also was very much the writer, describing himself as "a two-
fingered blip on my portable typewriter." Over the years, "in between
playing three hundred shows a year, he turned out two memoirs, several
autobiographical manuscripts, dozens of magazine and newspaper
articles, and thousands of personal letters to friends and fans."

Armstrong could certainly turn a phrase. In what Teachout calls "an
apostrophe to 'Mary Warner' " that Armstrong taped, the lifelong
marijuana-user explained why he gave up rolling joints in the open:
"At first you was a mis-do-meaner. . . . But as the years rolled by
you lost your misdo and got meaner and meaner, jailhousely speaking."

Teachout is unabashedly a fan, but by no means uncritical. Writing of
Armstrong's early vocal recordings, Teachout says that "nowhere in his
records of the period, or for long afterward, is it possible to hear
arrangements comparable in craftsmanship to the ones that can be heard
on the contemporary recordings of [Fletcher] Henderson, Duke
Ellington, Paul Whiteman, or the Casa Loma Orchestra, to name four big
bands that aspired to an ensemble polish that Armstrong's groups never
achieved."

On the other hand, Teachout has no patience with those, starting with
producer John Hammond - nicely described as "a coupon-clipping Ivy
League dilettante" - who thought that Armstrong was "too popular to be
good."

What they failed to see, Teachout is at pains to make clear, is that
in addition to being a musician of unsurpassed originality, Louis
Armstrong was also a great natural entertainer. Pleasing audiences had
made that "epic journey from squalor to immortality" both easier and
more pleasant.

As Armstrong put it himself, in a letter to a friend written not long
before his death on July 6, 1971: "My whole life has been happiness.
Through all of the misfortunes, etc., I did not plan anything. Life
was there for me and I accepted it. And life, what ever came out, has
been beautiful to me, and I love everybody."