[Dixielandjazz] Fred Walsh. A personal farewell to a wonderful musician and friend.

Stan McDonald stanmm at comcast.net
Sun Dec 27 15:17:48 PST 2009

Dear Marce,

I'm sure you'll want to put this on www.nejazz.com. It is a terrific site and I hope folks getting this will check it out.

With thanks, Stan

Fred Walsh, superior traditional jazz trombonist, and my dear friend of some 50 years, passed away at his home in Franklin, NH, on December 26, around 6:15 PM. His wonderful wife, Attorney Bronwyn Asplund Walsh, called and left a message with the sad news a scant hour later, but due to phone problems, Ellen and I were not able to retrieve it until this AM. I finally reached Bronwyn at 2:50 today. Needless to say, we were and are all in shock.

Fred had been suffering for some years with lung and heart problems, and had quadruple by-pass surgery about a year ago. Fairly recently he told me the doctors were giving him about two years, but he was in good spirits. For many years we had been keeping in touch and he would always send my son, Andy, Christmas and birthday gifts. Andy has been especially fond of him since childhood, as Fred was of Andy, who received a card and gift from him again this Christmas, despite his infirmity. Bronwyn told me this was a very good Christmas for Fred; celebrated at home with his daughter and her son.

So it was a complete shock when Fred suddenly and precipitously went down hill yesterday. Bronwyn told me he was playing a CD of my Blue Horizon Jazz Band just before he died. Fred and I first played together around Boston with the late Walter Miller (tpt) and Robin Verdier in the late '50's and into the 60's, in various combinations including the Historic Jazz Band, which Fred managed. In the 1970's Fred was with the East Bay City Jazz Band. He last played -- and recorded with -- my BHJB at Ephraim's in Sudbury in the 1980's when we had Walter, myself on reeds, Phil Hower on piano, John Pierce or Hans Brack, bass, and the late Tony Hannan (of Eddie Condon's fame) or Jimmy Kay on drums. Two of Fred's favorite tunes were Berlin's "When I Leave the World Behind," and Bechet's "Love Me With A Feeling." Fred is with the BHJB on a tape, Banned in Boston, and an LP, Classic Jazz Variations. These are cited on our website, with personnel listed but both are out of print. www.bluehorizonjazzband.com.

Funeral services will be held 10:00 AM Dec. 31, at St. Paul's Church. School St. Franklin, NH. There is a Holiday Inn nearby for those who would need to arrive the previous night.

All of Fred's warm and genial nature, enthusiasm for and knowledge of the classic jazz idiom were encompassed in the fullness and unaffected joy of his playing. He will be equally missed by all who loved him as well for his modest kindness and generousity of spirit.

Dear Fred, with our deepest condolences to your family, rest in peace in God's keeping. With our love always,

Stan, Ellen and Andy McDonald