[Dixielandjazz] Subject: Unsophisticated Dixieland Chords

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Sun Dec 20 19:02:36 PST 2009

I play guitar, bass, plectrum banjo, ukulele, Dobro & pedal steel
guitar. I taught music (Royal School of Music) in Belize for three
semesters. I can spell any chord you want, and play it on any instrument
I own. Here are some obvious and not so obvious observations, based on
my 55 years of playing and writing music for all kinds of bands.
+ If a chord has more than four different notes, you have to leave
something out on the banjo, or uke -- since it only has four strings.
+ Most good guitarists (esp. jazz) only play four strings most of the
time. Usually a bass note (5th or 6th) and three others. (usually 4,3,2)
So, they will leave out some notes.
+ When I look at the guitar book for a swing band (because they're
looking for a rhythm guitar) I find, invariably, that it was written by
a piano player or the arranger of the music. It is full of five, six,
seven note chords. C9b5#9+11. (!!) Obviously, the arranger knows the
chord that the band is playing and he is putting it all down for the
guitar players information. That's TMI (Too Much Information) The guitar
needs:
-- the root
-- the mode (major or minor)
-- If the 7th is major, flatted (dominant), diminished, augmented
He/she is doing his/her own voice leading. In most cases, he/she knows
the tune and knows the harmony licks that go along with it. If not...
he/she will hear it the first time they play it.

SO... all of those sharps and flats <snark> are just so much gorilla dust .

If I was going to play with a swing band, I would have to take the book
and turn it into guitar music. In fact, I don't do that, because playing
"chunk, chunk, chunk" rhythm guitar doesn't appeal to me very much.
(Now.... banjo... that's different!!!")

My son Tim Zahn, a remarkable pianist and accordionista in Colorado
Springs, says "Just give me the basic chords!"!!

Rick Jolley
http://belizenorth.com
http://rixwest.com