[Dixielandjazz] Gypsy Jazz Monterey

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sun Dec 20 13:01:29 PST 2009

Twas the Monterey Jazz Bash By The Bay which last year added a gypsy
jazz group to their lineup of bands, and they took the crowds by storm.
The group was the Gonzolo Bergera Quartet.

In lieu of  the traditional violin player taking the leads, they used a
phenomenal clarinet/sax player who was a complete master of his
instrument.  After their first session, word quickly spread as to the
amazing and lively music they were playing and every venus afterwards
was packed, SRO.  Every performance resulted in a rousing standing
ovation, with call-back.

Gonzolo himself is an amazing gypsy jazz guitar virtuoso, whom I I
would easily label as a genius on his instrument.  Hopefully you will
being seeing more of him on the traditional jazz circuit.  Though the
gypsy jazz groups do not have the dixieland instrumentation we expect
to see and hear at OKOM festivals, they definitely provide the energy
we love, while keeping alive  many of the standards we know and enjoy -
- -Shine, Marie, Exactly Like You, Bei Mir Bist Du Shoen, and dozens
more.  Because of this, I believe that gypsy jazz is a force to be
reckoned with in OKOM.

Bill (betcha -can't sign-your-name- with-a- key-signature)  #

The Future - - it's where you're spending the rest of your life.