[Dixielandjazz] Merry Tuba Christmas

Mike Marois Mike.Marois at HireLIVEMusic.com
Sat Dec 19 10:31:30 PST 2009

Good Afternoon Steve et al;

I remember my first tubachristmas about 25 years ago out in Los Angeles.  I
got a call from this guy to show up at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillon dressed
in blacks and whites on a specific date and time to play some Christmas
tunes.  The caller had mad no mention of the tubachristmas performance.
Showed up, paid for parking, got up to the courtyard and saw a ton of tuba
players, most of which were school kids playing school horns, get my drift.
Took a seat and then got hit up for another $10.00 bucks for the music.
Needless to say, after an hour or so, a dozen or so new dents in my axe from
careless students, and a massive headache the concert was over.  The only
saving grace to the evening was found at the original Tommy's which was a
few mile from the tuba carnage I had just left.  After that night I made a
promise to myself that as a professional musician I would never pay to play
again.  This is a promise that I still live by to this day.

Happy and Safe Holidays to Everyone,
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com] On Behalf Of Stephen G
Barbone
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:43 AM
To: Mike Marois
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Merry Tuba Christmas

Just a reminder that this Sunday, Dec 13, one of the largest groups of
tubists will play Tuba Christmas Music at the Ice Rink in Rockefeller
Center, NYC at 3:30 PM.

For similar demonstrations of large Tubist Christmas gatherings in 250
cities in the USA, Canada and Switzerland, see: (and click on the
location box, upper left)

http://www.tubachristmas.com/selectloc.php

Cheers,
Steve Barbone