[Dixielandjazz] Maria Muldaur, "A Good Man Is Hard To Find"

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Fri Dec 18 06:45:28 PST 2009

Bill Haesler wrote:
>  Rick wrote:
>
>> I'm gonna use this thread to plug one of my current faves -- MARIA MULDAUR!!
>> I think she's the greatest white blues singer currently on  the scene.   I thought I'd go see if she'd recorded this classic, and of course she has!
>>

> Dear Rick,
> You forgot to provide a link.
> So here 'tis:
>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKPNk_AiBWQ&feature=related
> Excellent.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Thanks, Bill.  I just rediscovered Maria when I was looking for versions
of "Any Old Time" -- a Jimmie Rodgers classic -- and found it as the
lead song on Maria's first Album, which contained the "one-hit wonder"
Midnight at the Oasis.  Jimmie -- a country music pioneer -- recorded
many of his later records with jazz band backing, and Maria follows
suit.  One of the foundation players on this first record was Mac
Rebenack, who would later become "DR JOHN" and I could hear his
influence throughout the record.   He brought the tune "Don't you feel
my leg" to the party  (somebody else called it "New Orleans Porn")

I don't know who's doing the YouTube presentations of Maria's work, but
they're really cute, aren't they?   They sneak pix of Maria (who looks
like she's been eating too many Twinkies) into pictures featuring lots
of "eye candy" with a jazz background.   Take a look at "Don't you feel
my leg" here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ41U9qOjx8&feature=related

Best,

Rick

More useless info... She sings "Don't you buy me Rye..." and they show a
bottle of Old Overholt.   Here in Tombstone, Old Overholt rye whiskey is
a big favorite.   It turns out that both Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo
drank Old Overholt (Wyatt Earp didn't drink!) and they have it in every
bar in town.  And we have a lot of bars for a town of 1700.