[Dixielandjazz] Verse for "A Good Man Is...."

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 17 13:36:01 PST 2009

Dear Ginny,
The hard ones we do immediately, the difficult take a bit longer.
Further to your request for clarification of the words to the verse of Eddie Geen's 1918 'hit song', "A Good Man Is Hard To Find", my dear mate, Sydney musician Adrian Ford, DJMLer and sheet music hoarder has finally located the verse details in his 'piling' system.
There are two of verses (as you discovered) herewith as published:

Verse 1.
"My heart's sad and I am all for-lorn, my man's treat-ing me mean,
I re-gret the day that I was born, And that man of mine I've ev-er seen.
My hap-pi-ness, it nev-er lasts a day,
My heart is al-most break-ing while I say;"

Verse 2.
"Yes-ter-day my heart from care was free, I sang all thro' the day,
Now the blues have ov-er take-en me, Since my lov-in' man has gone a-way.
I tried my best to treat him nice and kind,
But now these words are run-ning thro' my mind;"

Both are exactly as Marion Harris sang them on 19 February 1919.
[I had forgotten I had the Archeophone CD 5001A of her complete Victor releases. Silly me.
Beautifully remastered too - and recommended.]
I will attach Adrian's <pdf> of the sheet music to your email, but not to the DJML copy, as it will be automatically stripped anyway.

Very kind regards,
Bill.