[Dixielandjazz] Turk

pj.ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 17 10:58:24 PST 2009

Talk about the long arm of coincidence.

Sitting chatting, not to a jazz group, in a pub in my small village in the southwest of England last night. I was reminiscing about seeing Kid Ory on tour in the UK many years ago when  one of the group said "I saw Turk Murphy at Earthquake Mcgoons"
i dont suppose there are very many  people in the UK who have ever heard of Turk let alone seen him on his own territory.  I had a 78 of him many years ago. Closer walk with thee` on one side I believe. Forgotten the othe other,
i did meet a musician who was playing in a bar in a club in SF who had played with Turk. In fact he went so far as to send me an original sheet of music for Rose of Washington Square. A lot of trouble to take for the benefit of a visitor one is unlikely to see again.
How unlikely is that?
Cheers

Pat