[Dixielandjazz] New CD From Jonathan Russell

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 11 14:17:22 PST 2009

Jonathan Russell has just released a brand new CD called Duets. J on
violin and Ron Drotos on piano. If you've been following this jazz
whiz kid, check it out at CD Baby. If you haven't been following him,
check it out too, you'll be amazed.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jonathanrrond

The CD will astound you as it presents J in a different light. The
first tune is "Danny Groove", an original composition by Jonathan
dedicated to the late Daniel Pearl. FUNKY AND DELIGHTFUL, played on a
Daniel Pearl memorial violin, the use of which, was awarded to him for
a year's use in honor of his progress as a jazz violinist.

All I can say is that I am blown away by my copy of the CD. It gives
you a new perspective on the versatility of this young man.

Other tunes include Ellington's Black and Tan Fantasy; Gillespie's
Night in Tunisia; Sweet Loraine; The Lady Is A Tramp; Tabriz, If You
Please; Footprints; Limehouse Blues; So In Love,  Detours; and Solitude.

Ron Drotros, for those who don't know of him, is a marvelous jazz
pianist and he and J exhibit a  synergy on this CD that is readily
apparent.

As for J, this is  his coming out party as a veteran jazz musician
at . . . gasp, age 14. No need to call him, or measure him as a child
prodigy anymore. Put him up there against the big boys in the genre.
He is one of them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband