[Dixielandjazz] Stardust - and another outer space moment

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Dec 10 13:05:08 PST 2009

Don Ingle wrote in part:

> One night my dad, Red Ingle, came in with Hoagy Carmichael in tow. (They
> had worked together in several of the Goldkette Units in Detroit in the 20's
> and also in Kansas City at a ballroom owned by Goldkette), and dad
> wanted me to meet Hoagy. I did and it was memorable - especially after
> this happening.
> Asked to sit in, Hoagy said sure. Asked what he wanted to play he said,
> Riverboat Shuffle. Okay, Pete asked- what key? (Some bands played it in
> E flat and others in F.)
> Hoagy said "G" and let's start with the verse, Hoagy said; and mental
> panic set in. You trumpet players will understand that the verse starts
> off with this tricky little intro of four bars. Then some triplets.
> Transposing on the fly made fingers twist in ways God never intended
> they twist. Mental hernias added to the mix. Somehow - divine
> intervention? - we pulled it off -- but for one moment
> a few of us wished he'd never written the damned thing.
(snip)

Don, if Hoagy wanted to play Riverboat Shuffle in G, that meant you played the intro and verse in B minor?  I don't imagine many jazz tpt players, or horn players play in that key much?  Must have been tough...

--Bob Ringwald

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4677 (20091210) __________

http://www.eset.com