[Dixielandjazz] FW: "Star Dust" (was Standard Keys)

Hal Vickery hvickery_80 at msn.com
Wed Dec 9 15:50:09 PST 2009

This is correct.  Parish was a lyricist.  I don't know of any music he composed.

Oddly enough the sheet music I have for a piano solo version of "Moonlight Serenade" (transcribed from Jess Stacy's playing) simply says "By Mitchell Parish and Glenn Miller."  I don't think anyone is going to say Parish wrote the tune for "Moonlight Serenade"...or for "Sleigh Ride" for that matter.

I remember being in a discussion, here or someplace else, a few years ago in which there was a claim that Carmichael stole "Star Dust" (as it was then called) from somebody's father or grandfather, who was so crushed by the the incident that he never wrote another piece of music in his life or some such rubbish.

Hal Vickery