[Dixielandjazz] obscure

Bert Brandsma dixieorkest at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 5 05:24:32 PST 2009

This is not always neccesairely so. (Almost Gershwin)

Last week there was a discussion on this forum about Ellington.

When he originally wrote Diminuendo end Crescendo in blue it almost went unnoticed.

I first heard the 1937 and found it interesting already.

Almost 20 years later, in a new version with the sax solo in between, (Something that would have been impossible to record in 1937 in the first place) it was a huge succes, giving Ellington back his rightfully deserved place in the spotligts.

So, music has to be played at the right time and the right place.

Ellington's piece was too avant-garde in 1937. The Jazz crowd was not yet ready for such a revolution then.

Happily Ellington was able to stay in business long enough to enjoy this succes.

A lot of artists had the big successes after their career was over or after they died. J.S. Bach, Vincent van Gogh, just to name two people.

Kind regards,

Bert