[Dixielandjazz] Keeping it interesting

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Dec 4 01:42:12 PST 2009

Jim O'Briant wrote:
>With the Zinfandel Stompers, we try to play a lot of familiar favorites,
but we also try to keep things interesting by playing a few good yet obscure
tunes, and by playing a lot of good verses that other bands omit.

I try to intersperse straight 32 bar songs with tunes that have breaks or
other interesting features.  Plus, I use tunes that feature, or spotlight, a
particular member of the band to make a set more interesting.  And, of
course, I think about the keys of each song & the tempos before I call a
tune.

Usually, this is all done on the spot...., during a tune I work out what
will be the next.  A sudden audience request, or a suggestion from a band
member, can be slotted in easily, or saved for the following tune, or next
set.  For example, a request for a slow tune when we have just finished a
slow one, will usually cause me to say "we'll do it in just a few minutes".

Jim Kash