[Dixielandjazz] help for tunes

Bert Brandsma dixieorkest at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 3 10:43:35 PST 2009

Beth and Jim,

I have read your messages. I really feel the need to make a remark.

I have seen Kustbandet several times live, and as far as I have seen, usually their visual aspect is taken care of pretty well. They do have lots of fun and are nice to watch. Sometimes however you simply have a bad audience, but there are also other things going on here in Europe.

I'm making my living now since 1992 fulltime playing music and have noticed that the respect for someone who actually is capable of playing a musical instrument is rapidly declining on this continent. That is not only in the classic jazz style, but also goes for symphony orchestras.

We live in a computer time, so somebody who generates sounds out of a machine is much more interesting to the general taste. ( I mean DJs) It is sad but true. Our kind of music gets no single second of radio or TV airplay anymore, so the general audience simply have no idea what is this music all about. In school the music history book tells, New Orleans jazz = black music = good. Dixieland is a bad imitation stemming from white people = wrong. And a lot of people over here think, well I learned that at school, so it must be true. Not knowing Beiderbecke, Rollini, Goodman, to name a few people. A lot of nice jazz festivals simply dissapeared. Did a concert in this country last month, the average age was 80. The only people younger were musicians.

I have been in the USA several times, there you could hear good jazz in public places like hotels, restaurants and so on. Over here it has become so rare.

That, in combination with bad economic situations make that it is harder and harder to find places to play.

Concerts are really a problem and the company parties as well, since most companies are scared to pay anything in these times.

I hope for kustbandet that adding these musical pieces will help. I have played in a band called Fifty-six (Winner Breda Jazz contest 1991) it had Hyena Stomp in the Book, so I guess I should be able to find it.

Billy Goat is arranged once for saxophone quartet, I must have that one as well, so will try to find both pieces.

Just hope that situations will get better, since I love music stemming from human beings. Not computer sounds.

Kind regards,

Bert Brandma