[Dixielandjazz] High Society Obligato

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 31 11:28:28 PDT 2009

On Aug 31, 2009, at 1:04 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> dwlit at cpcug.org (Sheik wrote - polite snip)
>
> As for the "High Society" clarinet solo, Melrose in the late 20s
> published
> an orchestration by Fud Livingston with clarinet trio by Benny Goodman
> (another sax trio was written by Tram). Goodman's trio does ca. half
> the
> Picou solo, then goes off into a variation that doesn't resemble the
> Picou. I suspect that Melrose did a version of the chart early in
> the 20s,
> whenever the tune first became popular, but haven't seen it. My fake
> book sheet has the Johnny Dodds version of Picou from the King
> Oliver record.

Yes, and it is close enough for jazz. <grin>

All clarinet players who wish to pay homage to Picou and/or Dodds
should get a copy of the solo from Sheik, and/or buy his fake book,
which is EXCELLENT.

BTW, even Charlie Parker often quoted the first two bars of the Picou
solo, paying homage,  on many records of various songs, including his
Koko written over the changes of Cherokee at somewhere around 325
beats per minute.

When the bridge would give band mates trouble, he would smile and say;
"Think Tea For Two and then modulate". That would straighten them out.

Cheers,
Steve (clarinet wannabe) Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband