[Dixielandjazz] Miff Mole

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Sun Aug 30 19:15:51 PDT 2009

I don't have a copy of the "Tin roof" stock chart, but the sheet music
doesn't have trombone solo--I took my fake book sheet from the sheet
music.

As for the "High Society" clarinet solo, Melrose in the late 20s published
an orchestration by Fud Livingston with clarinet trio by Benny Goodman
(another sax trio was written by Tram). Goodman's trio does ca. half the
Picou solo, then goes off into a variation that doesn't resemble the
Picou. I suspect that Melrose did a version of the chart early in the 20s,
whenever the tune first became popular, but haven't seen it. My fake book
sheet has the Johnny Dodds version of Picou from the King Oliver record.

--Sheik