[Dixielandjazz] Can Jazz Be Saved?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Aug 29 10:21:23 PDT 2009

>They regard themselves as artists, not entertainers, masters of a musical
language that is comparable in seriousness to classical music---------

I recall enduring transcriptions of classical works into band scores in
school, where the trombone section had to play what was originally the cello
score, when amazing music created especially for bands was ignored.  Why?
Because the director desired to be "as good as" the classical music
director.

I have always observed a few frustrated jazz musicians who feel that they
will only be "recognized" if they can reach the heights (they believe) that
classical musicians enjoy.  They desire a silent audience, dependent on
every golden note played.  They want a devotion that was never, ever a part
of the Jazz scene.  Jazz should be fun...for the performer & the audience!

I am an entertainer who is fortunate enough to be able to back up his
enjoyment of the music being played with a fair amount of talent.  The fun
put into my playing (I hope) reaches out to the listener & opens his ears to
the fun that makes up "our music".

Okay, maybe it's an art form, but that is not a great concern of mine.  Nor,
are the heights that some other musician may achieve in one of the other art
forms.  It's not a competition.  Jazz is a serious business, granted, but to
the listener, it should be fun.

Make it fun, back the fun up with good playing, and there will be an
audience.

Jim