[Dixielandjazz] Do You Know...

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Aug 27 16:59:21 PDT 2009

eupher dude wrote

 > both the song and the answer to this puzzler...
>
> I was just listening to a recording of DYNWIMTMNO, and in the second bar the bass note is an F.  Key of C.
>
> I don't have a keyboard handy, and maybe I'm just a bit lazy tonight and don't want to concentrate hard enough to hear it myself.
>
> What is that chord?  G+b7  ??  I've played it as that chord, but never playing the b7 as a bass note...I've also played the a mi  change, which is what I like best.
>
> But the F is somewhat screwy sounding to me,
(snip)

The chord is a F aug 11.  It is more of a modern bee-bop chord in that place.

Most Trad players play a G Aug with G in the bass.  But I believe the original chord is the Em.

The first time I ever heard the Em was from Turk Murphy.  I didn't like it.  But it grew on me.

--Bob Ringwald

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4375 (20090827) __________

http://www.eset.com