[Dixielandjazz] Nazi Dance Band Rules - - A Fake?

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 25 13:32:32 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Mitchell"
Cc: "DJML" <Dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 1:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Nazi Dance Band Rules - - A Fake?

> In Storyville magazine No. 60  (August-September, 1975) Berhard Behncke
> quoted from Berliner Lokal-Anzeiger of October 12, 1935 : "Niggerjazz is
> no longer allowed". Berhard then said  "Ironically this did not stop the
> dictators pressing many jazz records from original masters until 1939..
> but only for foreigners and for export!"
>
> In Storyville 61 (October-November, 1975)  Horst Lange of Berlin wrote:
> "It is simply not true to say that at that time jazz records were sold
> only to foreigners or exported. Everybody could buy them in unlimited
> numbers from most record shops until September, 1939. It was only on the
> German radio that one heard no more jazz".
>
> Lange wrote a book called JAZZ IN GERMANY which would probably discuss the
> whole matter in detail, but it's not a book that I've read. How about it,
> Bill??
>
> Best wishes
> Jack Mitchell

I don't know when they were issued, but I have two 'pristine' 1937 Benny
Carter 78's on German Brunswick. These are tracks he recorded in The Hague
which included Scotland's own George Chisholm on trombone. I can't recall
which sides I have as the discs are still packed away from my last home move
...... over 5 years ago !!

Over the years I have been frequently puzzled by this business of the Nazis
and jazz. Given the amount of jazz/swing which was recorded in the occupied
countries between 1939 and 1945 it would appear not to be so frowned upon
there as in Der Fatherland.
~~
John D