[Dixielandjazz] Miff Mole

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 14 09:41:39 PDT 2009

On Aug 14, 2009, at 2:21 AM, Jack Mitchell wrote:

> The accepted wisdom is that Miff Mole was the first "innovative"
> trombonist. I ain't gonna argue with that, but don't overlook the
> fact that his solo on TIN ROOF BLUES (October 4, 1923) is a copy of
> George Brunis' solo recorded March 13, 1923.
>
> Best wishes
> Jack Mitchell

Perhaps he admired what Brunis did. Like all of us clarinet players,
including the great ones, who copy the Picou solo on High Society.
List mates can hear Mole with The Original Memphis Five and Tin Roof
Blues at  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODn2Ssk_Edo

This cut comes from a site that has LOTS of Miff Mole and LOTS of
Great OKOM to listen to, if you surf it.  In effect it, is a complete
search engine for tunes on You Tube by bands etc. Great listening on
it. Suggest you go to:  http://ckuik.com/Miff_Mole to hear Mole, or http://ckuik.com/King_Oliver_and_His_Dixie_Syncopators
, to hear Oliver, or just surf the basic site by clicking on the names
on the "related artists" section below the list of You Tubes. Lots of
OKOM there.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband