[Dixielandjazz] SATCHMO

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 13 15:10:25 PDT 2009

Bob Romans wrote:
> I'm listening to "A Musical Autobiography Narrated and Performed By
> Louis Armstrong, Volume 1. It's wondeful!!
> BUT! Is there a Volume 2 around somewhere, and could it be these are
> on CD?

Dear Bob,
They certainly are/were.
Unfortunately, you (being a proper jazz musician) didn't bother to
provide any information to amateur collector/musicians like me
regarding what CD/LP you were listening to.
8>)
The 'Musical Autobiography' sessions were original released in 1957 as
a Decca 4-LP deluxe boxed set, recorded between 11th December 1956 and
28 January 1957 and musically organised by Bob Haggart
All were reissued (chronologically) on a long-gone Mosaic 6-CD set
'The Complete Decca Studio Sessions of Louis Armstrong', minus the
Louis' narration tracks.
The definitive 3-CD set was reissued in Sweden in 1993 by Jazz
Unlimited (JUCD 2003, 2004 & 2005) as 'The New and revised 'Satchmo: A
Musical Autobiography' and includes some extra material.
The jazz oracle and lurking DJMLer, Carl Hällström, will know if the
set is still available.
Very kind regards,
Bill.