[Dixielandjazz] Great CA Festival - Kudos

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Tue Aug 11 15:47:51 PDT 2009

I also attending the festival this last weekend and had a  great time. The
lineup was really good but I realized while there that have  I have been
remiss in giving them Kudos' for changing their wheelchair seating  from 4
years ago when they where forcing all those in wheelchairs and their  companions
too sit in the back of the room. After our head butting of four  years ago,
the directors did start following ADA Federal Regulations to a  point. The
ADA says that all venues over 600 must have dispersed seating for
wheelchairs and their companions. That usually means a sections for just  wheelchairs
in all areas and price ranges. The Directors of this Festival  have gotten
around that by posting that anyone in a wheelchair can remove a seat  and
sit where they wish. When you are in a wheelchair, removing a seat is not
always that easy but it's a good way for this festival to handle the  situation
under the circumstances and I do give them credit for making the  changes
they did.

My battle with the Directors at this festival 4 years ago came  to a head
resulting from three problems. First, one of the directors actually  yelled
at me "you can't be here" when I was talking to my mom in front of a  venue.
Had I not at that instance been leaving anyway, I would have really taken
him to task on that as I am, under ADA Regulations, allowed to be anywhere
in my chair it will fit and yelling at a supporter of their festival is at
least, very rude but then when I talked to the Directors about  the problem
of seating all those in wheelchairs in the very back of  the room, I was
actually lied too, twice. I was told, as was everyone  else, that it was "Fire
Code" that all those in wheelchairs must sit in the back  of any venue, which
of course was not true and I called them on that point. I  don't know if
they had just been misinformed or just decided to use that as a  reason to
make things easier for them but they told the wrong person, me, as I  have been
in a wheelchair now for over 14 years and believe me I do know all the  ADA
Regulations regarding my situation as all those in wheelchairs should. Then
 they told me that they were only following the seating as done at  the San
Diego Jazz Festival. Again telling the wrong person as I worked  with those
directors in San Diego regarding their wheelchair seating,  some on this
list, but I just hate it when someone does not tell me the  truth.

The Mississippi Rag at that time published a great article  informing
everyone the laws that they must follow at any jazz concert or  festival
according to Federal ADA Regulations. Sadly the editor of American Rag  refused to
do so at the time because of their allegiance to the Directors of the  Costa
Mesa Festival. I'm still waiting for them to be the informative Jazz
publication they profess to be and get this information out to other directors  of
any jazz concert and/or festival. It is so very important now as more and
more Jazz fans find themselves having to use wheelchairs and walkers and
they  should have seating that allows them the best possible enjoyment of OKOM
and not  be discriminated against in anyway.

The San Diego festival still gets an "excellent" rating from  me of all the
festivals I attend for providing the best wheelchair  accessible seating
for their festival but I will, now, give the Costa Mesa Fest  a "good" rating
for following the Law even though they had to be dragged kicking  and
screaming to do so.

Jazz Hugs

Judie

In a message dated 8/11/2009 1:51:43 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,