[Dixielandjazz] Great CA Festival

GeneLynch5 at aol.com GeneLynch5 at aol.com
Tue Aug 11 13:31:10 PDT 2009

We spent last weekend at the Orange County (CA) Classic Jazz Festival,  and
had a wonderful time.  Attendance was good, which shows that if you  build
a good festival, and run it well, they will come.  We especially  enjoyed
the St. Louis Stompers and the Yerba Buena Stompers and Le Jazz Hot, the
Django outfit from San Francisco, but there were many other very good  bands.
To see the schedule:

_http://oc-classicjazz.org/schedule2009.php_
(http://oc-classicjazz.org/schedule2009.php)

There weren't many young folks and a lot of white hair, but I don't  think
playing to a few youngsters is going to save OKOM.  I believe the  audience
will never be large, but when today's youngsters get to middle age
(fifties, sixties) some of them will hear it, like it and go to festivals and  join
clubs, and their hair will become white.  When we were young  (thirties,
forties) Swing was king, and we didn't know there was traditional,  dixieland
or whatever you'd like to call it but after we grew older, and the  kids left
the nest, we were free to do as we chose, we found this music, and now
we're devotees.

For our benevolent dictator:  We don't like cardboard CD cases,   We have
bought a few because we liked the performers, but not the package.   Jewel
boxes are great.

Gene & Betty Lynch
Harbor  City, CA

steps!