[Dixielandjazz] I must be sick.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 9 16:59:41 PDT 2009

  M J (Mike) Logsdon started it all with:
> I just pre-ordered the new Mosaic set of Artie Shaw's Bluebird and
> Victor sides.  I don't know what's wrong with me.

This was followed by comments from listmates David Littlefield, Marek
Boym, John Petters and Stan Brager that all the Helen Forrest vocal
sides had been left off the Mosaic 7-CD set and the Gramercy Five
sessions.

Dear Mike (and all),
Like you, I also "must be sick", as I too jumped in and pre-ordered
the Mosaic set.
Not because I am a completist (which I am), but because the Mosaic set
tidies up the numerous miscellaneous LPs/CDs of Artie Shaw in my
collection.
And also because the Mosaic quality and presentation is always
excellent and includes previously unissued material.
For those who want the missing Helen Forrest/Artie Shaw recordings,
both Venerable Music and Worlds Records still have in stock two
Jasmine CDs with all except two of the Victor titles plus some airshots.
'Helen Forrest with Artie Shaw & His Orchestra. Volume 1. Sweeter As
The Years Go By' (JASCD 2550) and 'Volume 2. Sweet and Simple' (JASCD
2559).
In 1989 Bluebird reissued the complete Gramercy Five 1940/45 titles
made for Victor (including one extra take) on CD 7637. Worth looking
for a secondhand copy on Amazon, or a similar site.
For the 'complete' Artie Shaw Gramercy Five (1940-1954), including
'airshots', Jasmine has also satisfied collectors with a 5-CD set
(JASCD-20). Also in stock at Venerable Music and Worlds Records.
Very kind regards,
Bill.