[Dixielandjazz] MISERY AND THE BLUES lyrics

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 28 03:15:47 PDT 2009

Jazz-en-Ville at orange.fr wrote:
> Being a french jazz trumpet player, using also to sing, I would like
> to get the words of this tune, sung by Jack Teagarden: "Blues the
> morning, misery in the evening"

Dear friend,
Herewith as requested, transcribed from the Jack Teagarden recording
made for Betlehem in New York on 12 November 1954.
Very kind regards,
Bill.

"Misery and The Blues"(Charlie La Vere)

Blues in the mornin'
Mis'ry in the evenin'
I'm the saddest man you ever knew.
Got my share of sorrow
Same ol' thing tomorrow
Since you're gone the dawn is always overdue.

Blues in the mornin'
Mis'ry in the evenin'
Keep me wonderin' what I oughta do.
Almost out of money
Yes, you think that's funny
Even when you know that I'm still in love with you.

Ba-by, when you told me goodbye,
With a smile in your eye.
Oh ba-by I had to laugh
So that I wouldn't cry.

Now there's nothin' but blues in the mornin'
Misr'y in the evenin'
Wake up sobbin' like a child of doom.
Wish I'd never met you, let the devil get you
Then you'll know the heartache of a fool -
Full of mis'ry and the blues.