[Dixielandjazz] FW: BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Audio slideshow:African banjos

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Fri Apr 24 10:01:34 PDT 2009

Thanks' for forwarding the link. It is nice to see the end result of the
trip as I helped Bela and Sascha to get in contact with the Ekonting lute
people from the Jola tribe in Gambia. There are more about African
predecessors to the banjo on following sites. Remember that the banjo is not
an African instrument but a New World slave invention by merging ideas from
both African and European instruments in the Caribbean region about three
hundred years ago. For instance there are no flat finger boards or pegs on
West African lute instruments but round necks and friction tuning rings for
the strings.

The four string plectrum played jazz tenor banjo is an invention from around
1906 attributed, right or wrong, to the banjo maker J.B Shall. The oldest
tenor banjo in my collection is an open back Fairbanks Vega Tuba Phone from
1911.

http://www.myspace.com/banjoulf

http://www.youtube.com/user/ulfjagfors

http://www.myspace.com/akonting