[Dixielandjazz] Acoustic music

Butch Thompson butte1 at mac.com
Tue Apr 14 06:16:17 PDT 2009

I've posted this before, but I can't resist doing it again:

I played a club date with a bass player who had his amp cranked to the max.
He was one of those guys who, instead of listening to the people he finds
himself working with and trying to fit in, turns up his level and pretty
much takes over.  The leader called (I think) "Edelweiss," and the guy
didn't know it.  A few bars in and he was lost.  Because he was playing so
loud, he had to yell as he asked me, the pianist, to feed him the changes.
"What's this one?" he bellowed. "A flat minor," I yelled.
"What?"
"A flat minor!"
"What!!??"
And so it went.