[Dixielandjazz] Ginny's post about sound quality

John Wilder JohnWilder at Comcast.net
Mon Apr 13 19:34:28 PDT 2009

Hi Ginny!

Thanks for your note (below).  If my posts help to encourage any musicians
to improve their amplified sound by adding to (or replacing) PA equipment
and learning how to better operate it, I feel it is a big victory for all
live musicians!  Think about it.  If a patron leaves live music events
feeling like those sounds moved him, the person will not only be more likely
to attend more live music events, but also to champion the idea of
supporting live music to everyone they meet!

Now what do you think that same person will do after leaving a live music
event where they were distracted by poor sound quality to the point of not
being able to "connect" with the emotions of the music?  What if they
attended SEVERAL such concerts in a row that had sound problems?  I'd say
they'd likely say, "I shouldn't have paid to hear those bands live - it
would have been cheaper & better to just buy CD's."  Next time you do a live
event, guess who WON'T be there listening - the guy who now thinks that ALL
live music has sound problems, and that he shouldn't even bother to go.
That hurts us all!!

John

Hi John,

I'm someone who likes to stay stupid about sound production systems.  Just
want you to know that I think you have done an awesome job of pointing out
the error of my ways.  Your two recent posts have been very informative and
educational.  Thanks!

Ginny