[Dixielandjazz] Acoustic music.

Dick Sleeman dick at sleeman.nl
Mon Apr 13 13:05:49 PDT 2009

I just don't agree with you, Bill:

> 1. Use a mic doesn't equate with loud.

Nowadays it does! The youngsters all have a hearing deficiency - and if they
don't, they will get one.

> 2. The use of mics dates back to your childhood.

Does it now? In MY childhood, say 55 years ago, we used only ONE mike, for
anouncements and singing, not even for the clarinet...

Let's look at it from OUR side, for a change: I just returned from a tour
with an 8 piece band, 4 front, 4 back. NO microphones, never, nowhere.
We never played so relaxed!
People from the audience came by everytime to congratulate us that they
could hear everything, even back in the hall and in perfect balance.
Once somebody came up to me and told me she always thought a trombone
could only play very, very loud....

Going home after concert I never felt tired and there was no
ringing in my ears.

Regards,

Dick