[Dixielandjazz] Sound

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 7 09:15:35 PDT 2009

Joe Hopkins wrote:

****
"What I hate is when after playing a tun e and the applause dies
down ... you grab the mike to thank the crowd or make an announcement
and the mike has been turned off!! And often you look out there and
the sound guy has walked away .... very frustrating indeed.

****

Yes, frustrting. Also happens sometimes on a vocal when the singer
finds the mike off. What works for us is to tell the sound guy to
leave the vocal mike on all the time, Then we point it up during
songs, and just point it back to the announcer when the song is over,
or toward a vocalist when required. Or if there is a switch on the
vocal mike, we tell him to leave it on at the board and we will
control it from the bandstand.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

"Though the Jazz Age continued it became less and less an affair of
youth. The sequel was like a children's party taken over by the
elders."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald