[Dixielandjazz] Bud Shank and Mozart

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 5 12:42:16 PDT 2009

Sorry to hear about Bud Shank. First sight of him could surprise, he was rather big.  Powerful-looking!
Which relates to a certain reputation which clung, associated with some of his more widely marketed recordings which implied effeteness.
As I recall, he was talking to an interviewer long ago about a then new recording featuring some numbers he'd recorded long before. When the interviewer mentioned 'flute' Bud said something like, 'this time we're doing the numbers on proper instruments.'
I saw him around that time in Edinburgh with Shorty Rogers, Bill Perkins and several others sometime resident near the Pacific.
A friend of mine who remembers attending Nick's when he was a boy sailor on wartime convoys from Britain had no idea what he was being taken to, but he emerged at the end of that gig glowing. Another friend queried the term "cool" as characteristically applied to Bud & co., and even used on advertising matter for the concert.
Had I heard anything matching that formula during the concert?  Definitely not!
It does seem that like Mozart Bud Shank also (at least sometimes) didn't really like the flute.
Lord, that band of veterans swung, and swung!