[Dixielandjazz] Bohem Festival live broadcast: more than 30, 000 people

Ittzés Tamás bohem at fibermail.hu
Thu Apr 2 02:20:14 PDT 2009

Dear listmates,

I don't know how many of YOU watched our Bohem Festival at the last
weekend but, according to the company that supplied the servers and
streams for the live Internet broadcast, we had more than 30,000
visitors throughout the weekend. (It means 18,000 + IP addresses on
Friday night, less than 2,000 on Satuday morning, 11,0000 + on Saturday
night; I know no data for Sunday morning yet.) I think, it's a very good
start for a first occasion, especially that I started to announce about
it only a week before the actual event. (The late call was on purpose
for this time.) I hope, whoever saw it, had a great time and I hope that
we attracted visitors who come to the real festival in the future.

I think, that's the way to organize festivals from now on: include
Internet broadcast and all kinds of modern inventions to promote your
event. We tried to show you how it can be done and we'll do a much
better and even more professional broadcast next year, although both the
picture and sound was great already this year, I heard (I wasn't
watching, of course, as I was there). We got feedback from people all
over but I would be grateful to know your opinion if you had seen the
telecast.

By the way, the 18th International Bohem Ragtime & Jazz Festival in
Kecskemet, Hungary was a huge success on the spot. I invited 14
world-class musicians from 8 countries (4 from the US, 3 from Hungary, 2
from Gemany, 1-1 from Canada, Norway, Holland, England and Italy) and
put them together in different combinations. We had a draw at the press
conference just two weeks prior to the event, that was the way to form
the two bands for Friday and Saturday night. Saturday morning was for he
pianists (including a 18-year Hungarian chap playing awesome
boogie-woogie), I put together quartets for Saturday afternoon
(excluding the pianists) and for Sunday I asked everyone (the 14
All-Star musicians, I mean) to pick one tune and the musicians he/she
wanted to play that tune with. There was everything from duos to 8-piece
bands. And at the very end they played King Porter Stomp and Goody,
Goody because of the 100th anniversary of Benny Goodman. (I gave them
the big band charts on Saturday evening.) ALL bands sounded like
rehearsing units that had been playing together for 20 years. The whole
festival, to MY ears and evaluation, was PERFECT. I shouldn't say it
because it was my festival, my idea and I picked some of my favourite
musicians (who, according to my estimation, can easily work togehr with
others and are flexible both personally and musically), but, forgive me,
I'm saying this but I am very enhusiasting about the whole event as it
was probably the very best few days in my life. At least for OKOM. And
everybody could see, what many-coloured style traditional jazz is.

Cheers,

Tamas

Tamas ITTZES
violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazz Band
Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com <http://www.bohemragtime.com/>