[Dixielandjazz] Irving Fazola

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 1 12:45:32 PDT 2009

> Roger Wade <rwade1947 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Steve,
>
> Thanks for that great story about Irving Fazola and the chair.  I had
> heard about it before but not in quite the detail that the article
> provided.
>
> Here is a link to one of my favorite Fazola recordings:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~rdelu19511/clarinetblues.mp3
>
> The soulful tone and feeling expressed by Fazola via his clarinet
> belied the personal excess in his everyday life.  Ya gotta love
> jazzmen.
>
> This recording was on a Commodore 78 by Jess Stacy and his Orchestra
> and features Stacy on piano, Eddie Miller on tenor sax, Billy
> Butterfield on trumpet, and of course Fazola.

Great link. Thanks Roger.

When listening, one can't help but hear the influence Faz had on Kenny
Davern.
You can also hear that on Kenny's rendition of "My Inspiration", CD of
the same title, with Bob Haggart's Orchestra. He was clearly paying
homage to Faz's earlier rendition of the tune with the Bob Cats.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband