[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Mercer Accompanist Identified

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Fri Sep 26 11:09:48 PDT 2008

Thanks to yawl for your great responses to my queer-ee about who was the
wonderful pianist for Johnny Mercer's concert presentation.    Now we know.
Yep, the Golden Jockstraps go to Bill Haesler and Charlie Hull -- he is
RICHARD LEONARD -- very plainly credited on the jacket cover of the 1971 LP.
The fact that he is brightly credited on the cover shows that Mercer
rightfully respected him, possibly as a friend and surely as a perfect
accompanist.

I wonder if Richard was related to Jack Leonard, the great pre-WWII
vocalist with TD.    Now I'll look him up on Google.

Thanks again, guys.

Bob Newman