[Dixielandjazz] Sir John Dankworth & Lady Cleo

pj.ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 25 08:14:59 PDT 2008

Johnny Dankworth was a
"former dixieland clarinetist":>>

Hi Bill,

I saw Dankworth at a concert in London the first year he made it with the
Johny Dankworth Seven. in a poll winners concert put on by Melody Maker,
then the only musical newspaper available.
He was too modern for me even then. I never bought his records.

I remember that the compere was Tommy Trinder, leading comedian back then
and I remember someone walked right across the front stalls and Trinder said
"Is your journey really necessary?`  which was a wartime slogan to cut down
on travel. Therefore I can only think it must have been 1945 or 6. and I
think Sid Phillips was on the bill.Probably playing `H`orsdoevres` which was
a hit for him around that time.  I did buy a couple of Cleo`s discs but more
for her extraordinary vocal gymnastics than for jazz content.

Pat.