[Dixielandjazz] Sir John Dankworth & Lady Cleo

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 24 15:26:54 PDT 2008

Marek Boym wrote regarding the claim that Johnny Dankworth was a
"former dixieland clarinetist":
> That was aeons ago!  Dankworth was a modernist already in the late
> 1950's!

Dear Marek,
May I, a one-eyed lover of 'real jazz', suggest that he was never a
'dixieland' clarinetist, notwithstanding that in 1944 he worked
professionally with drummer Freddy Mirfield & His Garbage Men (with a
young Freddy Randall) that recorded the following sides for Decca at
the time. "Good old Wagon Blues/Miss Annabelle Lee/ At the Jazz Band
Ball/On the Sunny Side of the Street".
When I first became aware of British jazz in the mid 1940s John D was
a pioneer 'bopper', never ever to be represented in my record
collection. Nor was his singing wife.
Kind regards,
Bill (with the eyepatch still firmly in place).