[Dixielandjazz] Vikper Mad (and Pleasure Mad) -- Lyrics

Craig I. Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Tue Sep 23 19:47:12 PDT 2008

Gary,
"Anderson" does have the lyrics to "Pleasure Mad",
which includes a vocal verse.
However listening to the record of "Viper Mad" by Bechet, at least the one I found,
there is no vocal verse.
The first chorus of "Viper Mad" duplicates the first chorus of "Pleasure Mad"
with one word changed "pleasure" --> "viper".
The second chorus is unique to "Viper Mad"
Here are both

Craig Johnson

Pleasure mad: (From "Anderson") (Sidney Bechet & Rouseau Simmons - 1924)

Verse:

I may die young. I may die old

There's something certain to be told.

They'll say I've run my self to death.

They'll have to yelp it, but I can't help it.

I'll keep runnin' until I lose all my breath

Just pleasure mad <Pickups>

Chorus 1:

Must have my fun, I'm never sad.

It can't be done

The people are talking, but I don't care.

I'm twenty one, far from done.

Just begun I'm always set <repeat>

Chorus 2:

(set) for some-thing new, I always get

what I want to.

Good time is my passion, I must be good.

Ain't got no time to site & pine.

Just pleasure mad.

Viper mad: (Transcribed from Bechet mp3)

Verse: None on record.

Just viper mad <Pickups>

Chorus:

Must have my fun, I'm never sad.

It can't be done

The people are talking, but I don't care.

I'm twenty one, far from done

(I've) Just begun.

Chorus 2:

Wrap your chops