[Dixielandjazz] Lecture held needed

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 19 16:00:55 PDT 2008

> Brian Harvey wrote:
> For a University of the Third Age lecture I need an MP3 of Acker
> Bilk and
> strings playing "Never Love a Stranger".
> Is anyone able to help please?

Dear Brian,
What a resounding response!
So far.
In fact, I was certain that you had the wrong tune title.
How dare I doubt your vast knowledge in these matters?
8>)
So far as I can find, "Never Love A Stranger" was recorded by Acker in
1964 with the Leon Young String Chorale and issued as a Columbia (E)
single DB 7260 backed by "Bustamento".
It is also on a German EP and the Columbia[?] LP "Call Me Mister".
I don't have the Cattledog numbers for these.
Unfortunately, our DJMLer mate, Gerard Bielderman has not included the
'solo clarinet with strings' sides in his fine 2004 Acker Bilk
Discography.
It is not in my Acker Bilk collection.
Even a mate here in Sydney (an avid Acker collector) doesn't have it.
However, the above additional information may trigger a response.
Good luck with the search.
Kind regards,
Bill.