[Dixielandjazz] dark town

pj.ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 7 02:37:38 PDT 2008

Hi All
re the darktown Strutters Ball which has been exercising some people on
    the list recently.
    I was watching TV a couple of nights ago. A programme about Beale Street
    and the setting up of the first All Black radio station.
    It was received wisdom then that no black could possible have the
    technical skill to do such a thing. Rather like the Air Forces view that
    no black could possibly be a fighter pilot as it was too complicated for
    them. Then the Tuskeegee Pilots came along.
    During an old interview in a studio I noticed on the wall a poster
    advertising `Tan Town Jamboree`. I have no idea if that was an ad. for a
    get together or an ad. for a record, but I suspect that `Tan Town` is
    likely to be as controversial as `Dark Town` or maybe it was only
    applicable to `high browns`.
    If it was a record I have never heard of it and I had never come across
    the expression before.  Anyone know anything about it?

Pat