[Dixielandjazz] Longines Symphonette

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 2 07:55:27 PDT 2008

Bill Haesler asked about  a Dixieland recording from this label. I
can't help with the personnel but do know that the Longines
Symphonette was based in Larchmount / New Rochelle New York, just a
couple of miles from New York City. They were a large orchestra that
morphed into record production and other pursuits presenting many
different genres of music. They also presented well known artists such
as Al Hirt, Bing Crosby et al. They also sold records of people like
Jack Benny recalling the good old days in radio. They produced several
different "Dixieland" albums.

The also had a weekly radio program. Sponsored by the watch company,
they also sold a radio, and then a cassette recorder of the same name.

They mostly used New York City Studio musicians like Hank D'amico (clt/
sax) Charlie Butterfield (tb) and Billy Butterfield (tp) so it could
well have been Butterfield that Bill heard. If there is a list of NYC
studio musicians of that era around, (many of whom were jazzers) it
would give you an idea of who was probably in the Symphonette.

The LS was active in the 1960s but I am not sure when they started, or
finished.

I think the records listed under their own name/label, were actually
pressed by Decca.

There would have been other jazzers in NYC available to LS back then.
For example, in the 1960s, Bobby Hackett had a regular gig at the
Roosevelt Grill in NYC. Personnel on that gig included Cliff Leeman,
Dave McKenna, Jack Lesberg and Vic Dickenson.

And if the musicians were "under contract" to other labels, they may
have wished to remained anonymous. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband