[Dixielandjazz] Condon at Town Hall

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Oct 26 18:54:06 PDT 2008

Marek wrote:

>I beg to disagree!
> I have only one Town Hall double album (I'm really not interested in
> commercials for war bonds, or news announcements about what the allies
> had liberated at the time of the concert), but I have most of the
> Condon gang pre-war records.  Nevertheless, Bixieland and Coast to
> Coast Jam Session (With the Rampart St. Praders on the flip side) are
> my favorite Condon records (I have quite a few more, including the
> 1940's Deccas).
>
> Oh, and I've never been convinced that Pee Wee played badly in the
> forties; I even protested when this was mentioned on the Mississippi
> Rag Bulletin Board.  My ears (even though I am a BG admirer) tell me
> that Pee Wee was great - but then, by the time I came to jazz, his
> sound was widely accepted.
> Cheers

Dear Marek,

You do not reference the post that you are disagreeing with.  What is it you
disagree about?  The music? Or the fact of having commercials and news
announcements on the air checks?

You indicate that you are not interested in commercials for war bonds and
"news announcements about what the allies
> had liberated at the time."

Of course we all have a right to have our own opinions.  To me, those
commercials really add a sense of history to the recordings.  Especially
since they were an integral part of the show.

When listening to the old time radio dramas and comedy, it is always great
to be able to hear the commercials.  They were a reflection of the times.
often we don't hear the commercials because the only shows that were
preserved were the ones for Armed Forces Radio and they had the band play
during the time when the commercials were done.

I especially loved the commercials on the Jack Benny shows.

--Bob Ringwald.
www.ringwald.com