[Dixielandjazz] Condon at Town Hall

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Oct 24 15:22:57 PDT 2008

Stephen G Barbone shared some comments from his friend, reed man Bob
Rawlins, made regarding Condon & 'Town Hall' which included his
recollection that:
>   I think Muggsy was the cornet player on the first few
> concerts..........Wild Bill, and maybe a couple of others I’m not
> thinking of.  I’ve found that Muggsy and Wild Bill are my favorites
> for driving the band.

Dear Steve,
For the record, Muggsy did not appear on the 'Town Hall' concert
broadcasts until Show 13 (12 Aug 1944) but did play 15 of them
including the last, No. 46 (7 April 1945).
Unfortunately, Wild Bill appeared only once, on Show 35 (20 Jan 1945)
and only on two tunes "Jazz Me Blues" and "Sheik of Araby".
Wild Bill's army commitments had kept him away from New York, but he
made the most of it when he got there.
On this occasion, a 15-day furlough, in addition to the early
afternoon Condon Blue Network radio gig from the Ritz Theatre,
corporal Bill Davison took part in Eddie's last concert of the season
later in the afternoon at Carnegie Hall and recorded two sessions
under his own name for Milt Gabler's Commodore label on 19 and 22
January.
Kind regards,
Bill (ever the discographal pedant).