[Dixielandjazz] Programming Jazz at Cultural Events

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 20 09:07:41 PDT 2008

To activist Band Leaders:

There are probably many cultural organizations in the USA, like the
ones in the note below. If you seek to generate gigs for your band,
they offer a wealth of contacts. Note that in the Philadelphia region,
777 cultural events take place every week. Some will be delighted to
present jazz concerts, Now is the time to seek them out in your area.
You can bet the farm that I will attend the below FREE presentation to
in order to network.

You can also bet the farm that paying gigs will result in 2009. Total
cost to me? A couple of gallons of gas. A no brainer, especially since
my participation in 2008 with the Philadelphia Area, and Greater
Brandywine Cultural Alliances resulted in 11 gigs including the one
reviewed in Ocean City that was recently posted on the DJML. Like
Woody Allen said, 80% of life is just showing up.

Don't let the words "non-profit" fool you. Most members of these
associations have entertainment budgets and will cheerfully spend
their money on Jazz, "America's Music".

Cheers,

Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

REGISTER TODAY for Fri, Oct 24 8 AM

The Greater Philadelphia Region's Cultural Sector is

VIBRANT, VALUABLE & VUNERABLE

Cultural Alliance staff will present key findings from the 2008
Portfolio. A follow-up to the Cultural Alliance's landmark 2006
Portfolio report, the2008 Portfolio offers a compelling picture of the
nonprofit cultural sector today and how it has changed over the last
ten years.

777 cultural events take place every week in our region.  How many are
free?

Suburban arts organizations grew faster than city groups.  How much
faster?

Cultural organizations run on slim margins.  How many operate with a
deficit?

These sessions are FREE and open to the public. Complimentary
continental breakfast will be provided.

October 24, 2008, 8:00am - 9:30am

Chester County Art Association, West Chester

For directions and to register online, go to: http://2008portfolio2.eventbrite.com

Please note that a minimum of 15 registered participants are needed
for each presentation, if we do not receive at least 15 participants,
we will reschedule the session. Registrants will be notified of
changes if necessary.

Thank you.  We look forward to seeing you at one these sessions!

Jessica Eldredge & Nancy DeLucia | County Outreach Managers

Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance| PhillyFunGuide.com

1616 Walnut St. Suite 600 |Philadelphia|PA |19103  P: (215) 654-0676 |
E: ndelucia at philaculture.org or   jeldredge at philaculture.org

On behalf of over 375 member organizations, the Cultural Alliance
leads the effort to increase awareness of, participation in and
support for arts and culture in the Greater Philadelphia region.

JOIN. CONTRIBUTE. PARTICIPATE. ADVOCATE. ATTEND. SUPPORT.

This info is brought to you by the Greater Brandywine Cultural
Alliance, 28 W. Market Street, West Chester, PA 19382.  (610)
696-8211  www.brandywineculture.org