[Dixielandjazz] Surprise, Surprise

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 12 19:41:42 PDT 2008

Surprise, Surprise: Now We Get Battling Louis Armstrong Projects
by Monika Bartyzel Oct 8th 2008 // 4:32PM
Filed under: Drama, Music & Musicals, Casting, Scripts
Just a few weeks ago, there was word that Charles S. Dutton was
working on a Louis Armstrong miniseries with Quincy Jones, and John
Sayles -- one heck of a dream team. But of course, this is Hollywood
and one project can never be enough -- especially when we're talking
about a recognizable icon. Now word comes that we're getting a feature
film as well.

Variety reports that Forest Whitaker is not only going to star as
Louis in an upcoming biopic called What a Wonderful World, but also
direct it. (This is the second music icon Whitaker is becoming -- he
already played Charlie Parker in Bird.) Now, while Sayles is the
powerhouse behind Dutton's project, Ron Bass (Rain Man) will be
writing this feature with the help of Armstrong's estate. They're
allowing the Oscar-winning scribe exclusive access to personal
accounts, letters, and other archive material, which should give the
film some interesting depth as it starts "during the musician's
impoverished early years in New Orleans and [will] primarily chronicle
his career as a trumpet virtuoso and improvisational singer."

The dueling projects certainly won't completely overlap since the
miniseries is taking on Armstrong's whole life, and the feature will
add exclusive insight into the man. But still, I can't help but wish
they were all working together. Sayles and Whitaker? That'd be magic.