[Dixielandjazz] BG's UK Band & John McLevy

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 08:32:44 PDT 2008

Hi Bill et al,

I can't vouch for John McLevy being the trumpet soloist on tracks other than
"Baubles" on the BG in Stockholm album as I don't have a copy, although I've
heard lots of individual tracks over the years. However these mails have
reminded me that I ought to buy a copy, not just because the music on it is
so good, but as a reminder of how good all these guys (including BG) were at
their very considerable prime.

Many of them are/were old friends of mine and you're right about Bobby Orr
being a marvellous drummer and mouth pencil player. He'll be 80 this year
and is still playing gigs. As a measure of how good he is, when I ran the
first Glasgow International Jazz Festival in 1987, I had to put together a
big band to work with Benny Carter and naturally had to discuss names with
Benny before hiring anyone. When the drum chair came up, before any other
candidates were mentioned, Benny said "If you can get Bobby Orr, I'm in safe
hands." Incidentally, that band also had John McLevy and Tommy McQuater in
it, as well as a great bunch of other players. George Chisholm would have
been there too, had he not been on holiday at the time.

It's really a pretty small world: Like your wife, I'm originally from
Paisley and I played a lot during the 1970s and 80s with Chis. The trio I
worked with at the Black Bull Jazz Club was his preferred accompanying group
when he came to do gigs in Scotland and we shared lots of fun and good music
together. I had a lot of fun with Tom McQuater too, although I think I only
played with him once. When I worked in London I used to join Tom, John
McLevy and other musicians in a pub near Perivale, where I was working, so I
got to know Tom pretty well. He was always entertaining company, with views
ranging from outspoken to outrageous.

Excuse me, I'm off to Amazon to chase up the BG record.

Regards,

Ken Mathieson

www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk