[Dixielandjazz] Dave Robinson, cornetist/jazz educator loses son

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sat Oct 11 09:26:11 PDT 2008

To:  DJML members

From: Norman Vickers, Pensacola

At the request of Bob Ringwald, I am posting for DJML members. ( Regrets-I'm
a few days late due to a computer glitch)

Dave Robinson, cornetist, former president of the Potomac River Jazz Club,
former president (2X) of the American Federation of Jazz Societies and jazz
educator, especially early jazz, has lost his son to accidental overdose of
prescription medications.  This note  came from Jim Jones, President of
AFJS.  Dave had responded saying that he and family were holding up
reasonably well, considering this family tragedy.

Here is a note from Dave, forwarded by Jim Jones:

Jim,

Thank you for sharing the news with my AFJS colleagues.  My son Evan died on
Wednesday of an apparent accidental overdose of prescription pain
medication.  Yesterday would have been his 21st birthday, and we

threw a big party for his many friends.   My wife Judy and I are being given
lots of love and support and we will make it through this.

If anyone feels so compelled, in lieu of flowers, donations of any size may
be sent to the Lost Dog and Cat Rescue League of Chantilly, VA via the
following link:

http://www.lostdogandcatrescue.org/memorial.asp

Evan loved dogs and used to work in a local kennel.

Thank you for your kind concern, Jim.

Dave R

Sadly,  Jim  O==#            (president at AFJS.org)

Jim Jones      Tel/Fax: (310) 831-3372 in CA USA

Pres.,Amer.Fed.of Jazz Societies 2008 - AFJS.org

Vickers adds:  In case you wish to drop him a note, address is:

5537 Belle Pond Rd.

Centreville, VA 20120-1640